Thursday, July 11, 2013

Family Vacation Road Trip Part 2: One More Stop, Sorry Kids




We woke up at Grandma and Grandpa's rested, energized, and ready to get to the beach THAT day...finally! We were able to promise Bryce we would have our feet in the sand that day....BUT, we had to make a stop in Alexandria, VA first (which I fully explained to Bryce to avoid making the mistake I made on Day 1 ). GREAT GRANDMA'S HOUSE! 


Grandma Kirk hadn't met Nathan yet so we of course wanted to make time to go see her. I miss this woman and love her so much. She is almost 98 years old, lives on her own, and has an outlook on life that I wish I could have. Her positivity is amazing. No matter how I feel when I arrive at her house, her presence is enough for me to be overwhelmed with feel good, positive, life is awesome thoughts and feelings. I seriously want to be just like this woman. 

I always leave her house with a fun Grandma Kirk phrase that makes me smile. Last visit, she said in response to others who complain about the younger generation, 
"We had our generation, let them have their's!"
This visit she was talking about her recent trip to her local grocery store and said, 
"Ohh, if I could write a book about all the people who have been so nice to me. There are just so many nice people!" 

Wow! I seriously want that attitude every day. I want to be just like her. How often do I go to the grocery store and fail to see all the nice people? Not because the nice people aren't there, but because I'm too focused on the negative to see them. 

How many times am I too focused on my own complaints, trials, inconveniences, injustices, or just thinking of myself too long to see the good around me, the good in other people, and the good in the world (yes, honestly, this world is actually NOT all terrible)? How many times am I too busy judging instead of looking at the good or approaching the person and/or situation with love and positivity?

She of course has a few complaints at her age, but she seems to still always have this incredible positivity on, well, just about everything! I've only been blessed to know her for about 8 years, so of course I don't know if she has had this positivity and uplifting personality her whole life, but all of the family I talked to confirmed that this is just her and she has always been the way she is. 


The kids were so good! Bryce went right up to her with a smile and HUGE hug and Nathan was content and happy being in her arms, reaching for her, and listening to her talk! It warmed my heart (and her's) to see the kids react that way toward her. 
What a great visit! Then we got in our car once again, and drove away with her standing in the doorway, waving goodbye, with a big smile on her face (as she ALWAYS does). 


We drove off with wonderful positivity and joy in our hearts that we thought could last a lifetime....

....until we hit I-95... 









No comments:

Post a Comment