Thursday, March 28, 2013

"My Friend Mommy"

Meet Bryce.

Bryce turned 3 in December. 


He knows what Mommy calls him: sweetheart, baby, and Bryce-a-roo (I'm sure he'll love that one when he's older), but right now he is trying to define who HE thinks Bryce is.


Some days he is a pirate.


Some days he is an airplane.


Some days he is "Doctor Bryce".


 Some days he is a baker.


Some days he is a photographer. 


Some days he is a musician.



He changes it up each day, but he does stay consistent with at least two definitions of himself.


Every day he is "Big Brother Bryce". (this is now how he introduces himself to people)
It is obvious he loves his little brother!


And, my favorite, he is Mommy's big boy! 
This photo taken by Andrea Flanagan Photography


In trying to make sense of the world around him, Bryce is trying to define not only himself, but also his relationships and the people in his life. So, what does he think of Mommy considering he spends most of his waking time with her?  I sometimes worry that he thinks of me in the same way I think of myself: mean mommy, scattered, incapable, terrible mother, an "I-can't-handle-this" type of person (as well as many other negative self assessments). 

Who does Bryce actually say Mommy is? "Friend". That's right. I am now being introduced to others as "My Friend Mommy." 

Of course I have heard, "Don't be your child's 'friend'. You are a parent, not a friend." Although he does get "mean mommy" and the discipline he definitely doesn't enjoy, in his little world I am his friend. I play with him everyday, talk with him, eat with him, share with him, spend time with him and laugh A LOT with him. We have fun together. I am not only his Mommy right now, but his friend! 

He once said to me, "Mommy, someday you will be a princess, but you are just Mommy right now."

His view of me and our mother/son relationship will probably change drastically as he grows up and discovers more about the world and more about who he really is.
There will come a day when he will have a handful of other things he will want to call me, and I'm sure none of those things will be "friend" (although he probably won't view me as a princess either). Until that day, I am so happy to be called "My Friend Mommy" and I will fully enjoy this definition and this phase in our mother/son relationship.


Embracing being seen as these two boys' "friend"!


No comments:

Post a Comment